Anyway--that isn't the point of this post. This post is to say thank you, and I really can't say enough thanks for the support we have been getting from family, friends, and even acquaintances. Some have adopted the cancer-support hairstyle:

Some have sent wonderful gifts and messages:
In fact, yesterday Kaitlyn received a package from my sister that included stickers to decorate her room, lotions and moisturizers, and brightly-framed photos of family, extended family, and even a group photo of her and her friends on Saipan. Kait said that she liked getting things from former cancer patients (my sister had cancer about 14 years ago), because they seemed to know what to send.
There have been visits--a big surprise since we know so few people in the area--and we really appreciated the time they have taken to drive to L.A. to see us. There have been phone calls, video chats, texts, FB posts, and gifts. Such an outpouring of love and support! I even found out that after Casey and I left church on Sunday the bishop called the Relief Society president, Young Womens' president, and Leona (the lady that befriended me on Sunday, and actually did come to check on me yesterday) to his office to discuss what they could do to help us while we're here. They don't even know us!
And I want to say a word to the people who feel like all they can do to help is "just" pray. You're right. That is the be-all, end-all of what you can do. Nothing is as powerful, as helpful, or can take the place of praying for us. Thank you all for remembering us and Kait in your prayers. Please keep it up!
The newspapers and other media are so full of what's wrong in the world and the depravities of people that it's easy to forget that by far most people are good and want to do good. I used to think that if I ever had a child go through something like this that I would be so traumatized that nothing anyone did to support us emotionally would help. I was wrong. Thankfully.

Glad to hear she's feeling better. And yes, it's been amazing to witness the love.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that Kaitlyn is feeling better and that your new temporary ward family is looking after you. People are good and God is good. :-)
ReplyDelete